I have spent the past few weeks fixing up the entire website, with a new theme, new portfolio pages, and complete reworkings of my MEL script pages. You can check out the new pages by clicking “Online Portfolio” above, and the new script instructions can also be found above. Both Synch Up and Real Scale Toolbox are up to date, but I have temporarily taken Sun and Sky Plus down as I fix a few issues with it and create a UI for it. Check back soon for a brand new look and level of usability from Sun and Sky Plus.
I just uploaded the new version of real scale tool box to the page on the tab with the same name on the top of this page. It contains extensive changes from the last version so make sure to upgrade if you have been using it before. Please check it out and send me any problems, concerns, or ideas you may have.
Alright, everything seems to be on track right now. I am in the process of finalizing the animation right now, and will be done with it soon. I have a few smaller things planned for today like adding wind to the ocean system, making sure the ocean system is animating correctly in each scene, importing the slightly altered uv set for the jet in preparation for the new textures, and finalizing my render plan. My render layers are all ready, I just need to decide in what order, and on what computers, I am going to render all the passes out. I will be running full test renders tomorrow for each scene on the computers they will be rendered out on. This will be a chance to make sure everything is squared away before hitting the final render button. After that I will just be compositing and doing the sound design. Other than that there isn’t much to report. Time is getting close, but I should be able to make it as long as no major bugs hit.
Things are looking pretty good to hit my render date next week. All of the modeling, texturing, materials, rigging, lighting, environments, and initial render settings are in place. Many problems have come up and been solved, ranging from getting command line rendering to work on the school computers, increasing render stability, fixing and improving major flaws with the default physical sun and sky, to getting the island placed into the ocean scene. Most of the render layers are in place and ready to go, and I have been able to add, and then fix, issues with ambient occlusion and depth of field. I am just about able to render out and composite final images, but it is a time consuming process so I don’t have any new images right now. The new jet textures are being worked on by Dewon right now, and will be ready for next week. Again, I am basicly able to get finished images at the moment, so the only things left to do are the animation and special effects. The animation is in progress, and I will try to get something up on vimeo before the weekend for you to look at. I know what I need to do for the effects, so they shouldn’t be a problem, and I will start them probably Saturday – Sunday.
I know that updates have kind of fallen off recently, but a lot of work has gone on behind the scenes, and I have made some serious head way. The animation is running a bit behind, but will not be a problem to finish. All of the ground work is in place, so once those two things are finished, I will just need to implement my render plan. More importantly, I have already tested that plan, so I know which layers I can render on the school computers, and all of the bugs have been worked out. Other than the work that still needs to be done, the only major concern I have is, of course, render time. I should have enough time, but until I get final benchmarks for each layer, I will not know what I’m looking at. Still, I’m hoping to get most of it output within the first week after my render date next Wednesday.